Old Achimotan Association
The Old Achimotan Association, (OAA) is an Association of former pupils and staff of the Prince of Wales College, later Achimota College and School. Its objectives are stated in the Constitution of the Association. The Association's mandate is exercised through an Executive Committee which comprises a group of 14 elected and ex officio members.
An abridged account of the history of the OAA written by Akora K A Cato, recounts that the formation of the Association arose from a tradition of the Accra Government Teachers' Training College where former student-teachers of the College met once a year during the long vacations for refresher courses for a few days.
It is recorded that during these courses, former pupils and staff of the College, which had formed the nucleus of the Teacher Training Department of Achimota in 1927, took great interest in coming together to renew acquaintances.
It was during one of these meetings in 1929, that on the initiative of Rev A G Fraser, the first Principal of the College, the decision was taken to form an association. The Association was formed to maintain the interest of former pupils and staff in the well-being of the School.
Sandy Fraser, a member of staff of the School and son of Rev Fraser was its first organising secretary.
The first General Meeting of the OAA was held on 23rd December 1930 at the School. Thereafter these meetings were held on an annual basis.
Members took the opportunity to visit the School, staying on the campus for 3 to 4 days at a time..