When it comes to cancer risk factors; ALL RISK FACTORS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL. Someone may have several risk factors and another may have only one or none yet end up with breast cancer or other cancers.
We can not say with certainty that we can do all it takes to prevent cancer BUT we can do a lot to reduce our risk.
TEN (10) TIPS TO CANCER RISK REDUCTION
- Weight Control – being overweight or obese increases risk to SEVERAL cancers.
- Smoking – cigarette smoking predisposes one to several cancers including lung cancer. Other forms of air pollutants serve as risks too.
- Alcohol – limit intake or avoid. It has the power to expose one to several cancers as well especially when we can’t apply brakes to how much we consume.
- Healthy Eating
- Limit intake of processed food and sugar
- Limit intake of red meat
- Fruits and vegetables should be a mainstay of our diet.
- An antioxidant rich food like Cocoa should be part of our food. The purer the cocoa, the better
- Fibre in your food is crucial.
- Exercise – on its own reduces risk for breast and colon cancers directly and many others through weight control.
- Also increases immunity.
- Cancer Screening – be regular so cancers can be detected early and managed aggressively.
- Vaccinations – take vaccines where needed e.g. Hep B vaccine or Vaccine against HPV (human papilloma virus accounts for the majority of cervical cancers)
- Know your Family History
- Anyone in family with a cancer? Necessary to be on your guard but also remember that you may be the first person in your family with a particular cancer.
- Start your family early and breast feed for as long as possible to reduce risk of breast cancer.
- Check exposure to Ultraviolet Light and other forms of radiation. Protect your skin.
- Practice SAFE SEX
- HPV infection leading to cervical cancer is commoner when one exposed to sex early, directly or indirectly has multiple partners
- Conditions such as HIV/AIDS may suppress your immune system if not managed appropriately.
Do add two (2) others of your choice and send to me via email. Together we can protect ourselves.
ALWAYS remember that CANCER PREVENTION HAS NO QUICK FIX – we need to follow these points over and over.
AS ALWAYS LAUGH OFTEN, ENSURE HYGIENE, WALK AND PRAY EVERYDAY AND REMEMBER IT’S A PRICELESS GIFT TO KNOW YOUR NUMBERS (blood sugar, blood pressure, blood cholesterol, BMI)
Dr. Kojo Cobba Essel
Health Essentials Ltd/ Mobissel
*Dr. Essel is a medical doctor, holds an MBA and is ISSA certified in exercise therapy, fitness nutrition and corrective exercise. He is the author of the award-winning book, ‘Unravelling The Essentials of Health & Wealth.’
Thought for the week – “WHERE YOU LIVE SHOULD NOT DETERMINE IF YOU LIVE.”- WHO