5G Africa at this year's Africa Tech Festival asks if Africa is ready…
Globally, there is much hype around 5G. In Africa, whilst that conversation undoubtedly has its place, solutions to Africa's connectivity still require consideration around legacy 2G, 3G and even 4G networks, which remain the continent's predominant connectivity sources. Taking a look at the global state of play of 5G and its place in Africa, or not, this year's 5G Africa series, will form part of the virtual Africa Tech Festival.
An action-packed 5G Africa will host two days of compelling content on Tuesday 10th and Wednesday 11th November 2020. Some of the key sessions to watch out for include:
· Service provider interviews with Charles Molapisi, the MTN Group Chief Technology & Information Officer and Dejan Kastelic, Chief Technology Officer for Vodacom Group and a member of the Vodacom Group Executive Committee, both of whom will share their respective experience of launching 5G networks
· Panel Discussion: The 5G to the home opportunity; how FWA is changing the telco services landscape. The moderator will be Thecla Mbongue, Senior Analyst, Omdia, with panellists: - - Jorge Mendes, Chief Officer: Consumer Business Unit, Vodacom Group,
- Giovanni Chiarelli, Chief Technology and Information Officer, MTN South Africa
- Herve Suquet, CTIO MEA, Orange
· Panel Discussion: SES Industry Days Africa 2020: Technologies that will Transform Telecoms and 5G featuring the below speakers:
- Sigal Barda, VP Product, Head of 5G Portfolio, Ribbon
- Nicholas Naidu, Managing Executive: Technology Strategy, Architecture & Innovation, Vodacom South Africa
- Imran Malik, VP, Global Sales Fixed Data, SES
- Schalk Visser, CTO, Cell C.
BOTH DAYS WILL ALSO HOST A SERIES OF ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSIONS: AVAILABLE TO ALL 5G AFRICA ATTENDEES, THESE INFORMAL, CHATHAM HOUSE RULE, INTERACTIVE DISCUSSIONS WILL PROVIDE THE OPPORTUNITY TO REFLECT ON THE DAY’S PRESENTATIONS AND ENGAGE IN CONVERSATION WITH PEERS ON A GIVEN TOPIC, MODERATED BY INDUSTRY ANALYSTS ON THE TOPICS OF:
- FIXED WIRELESS STRATEGIES, PRICING AND MARKETING
- PRIVATE NETWORKS IN AFRICA
- COST MANAGEMENT FOR 5G
- The mobile edge computing in Africa.
Vodacom, who launched the first Fixed-Wireless 5G services in Lesotho in 2018, also launched Africa's first commercial Mobile 5G Network in South
Africa in 2020, to help meet heightening demand for Mobile and Fixed-Wireless connectivity during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Commenting on the ability of 5G to move Africa forward, Dejan Kastelic, Group Chief Technology Officer, Vodacom Group said: "5G is a key enabler
of our rapidly evolving digital society and will offer exciting solutions in the near future to support healthcare, education and agriculture across the continent. Spectrum allocation, however, remains critical in bridging the digital divide and ensuring the international competitiveness of African economies. I look forward to sharing Vodacom's insights into the world of 5G and what lies ahead during my keynote address at 5G Africa."
Other speakers worth noting at this event also include:
· Peter Ndegwa, CEO, Safaricom
· Mugo Kibati, CEO, Telkom Kenya
· Kris Senanu, Managing Director, Telkom Kenya
· Razvan Ungureanu, Chief Technology Officer, Airtel Africa
· Hugo van Zyl, CTO, Telkom
· Joel Randrianasolo, CTO, Telma Madagascar
· Shoaib Khan, CTO, Cable & Wireless (Seychelles)
· Chris White, Electrification Manager - Europe, Ford.
Taking place online this year, the virtual Africa Tech Festival incorporating AfricaCom and AfricaTech, will provide ample opportunity for insight, business operational adjustment and an eye as to the opportunities presented by the digital shift.
To register for a FREE delegate pass - click HERE https://tmt.knect365.com/africacom/
Media accreditation is now open: https://registration.gesevent.com/survey/06t0kg4kkf2ei