Work has begun on fixing portions of the Bolgatanga-Bawku highway at Kubore in the Upper East Region that were washed off by floodwaters.
The road had been rendered impassable to vehicles, both private and commercial, including heavy-duty trucks.
Some residents of Kubore and others living along the stretch have had to resort to the use of canoes and other means to get to their destinations.
A Brazilian construction company, Queiroz Galvao, which is already working on the highway, is currently on-site to address the challenge.
The Upper East Regional Director of the Ghana Highway Authority (GHA), Mr Philip Samwini, told the Daily Graphic in his office in Bolgatanga that work would be expedited to ensure that the road was opened to traffic by the close of day today.
He said about 180 heavy-duty trucks filled with goods were parked at both ends of the road because they were unable to continue their journey, necessitating the quick fixing of the road.
“This is because some of the trucks may be carrying perishable goods and this may affect their businesses,” he said.
Mr Samwini said he would be able to provide a better assessment of the situation by Friday, September 18, after the road had been opened to traffic.
Hundreds of private and commercial vehicles and commuters got stranded between Kubore in the Bawku West District and Bazua in the Binduri District in the Upper East Region last Monday, September 7, when a bridge over the flooded White Volta at Kubore was submerged.
Officials from the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) and the police had to move in quickly to control the situation and to prevail upon the people not to try to wade through the floods but consider their safety first, instead.
When the Vice-President, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, visited some of the flood-affected communities in the region last week, he promised to liaise with the contractor to get the road fixed immediately.