GARIA Presidential Fund Raising
Other Events Information
The Presidential Fundraising Dinner is to: -
- Celebrate the passage of the new Companies Bill,
- To recognise the Committee of Experts, various stakeholder groups and all the key players whose efforts have culminated in the passage of this Bill the passage of this Bill and lastly
- To launch the GARIA Trust Fund.
We are excited about this opportunity to celebrate the years of hardwork, diligence and resilience which have culminated in the passage of this landmark bill which has as its main thrust the ease of doing business and bringing the seminal Prof. Gower 1963 Companies Code into modern times.
GARIA is an acronym for the Ghana Association of Restructuring and Insolvency Advisors. It was established in 2006, and its primary objective is to play a leadership role in corporate restructuring, business recovery and insolvency in Ghana. GARIA is an affiliate of INSOL International, a world-wide federation for practitioners who specialize in business turnaround and insolvency.
Our Core Mandate:
- To advocate for Growth and Economic Development
- To promote law reforms in effective business recovery measures and insolvency;
- To promote and play a thought leadership role in connection with and in relation to business turnarounds and insolvencies;
- To provide a forum for practitioners engaged in business recovery and insolvency practice;
- To encourage restructuring of distressed entities including state-owned enterprises and other business establishments; and
- To promote international cooperation with respect to insolvency or business recovery and related cross border matters.
GARIA has been leading in the advocacy of reform of the two principal business laws since inception its inception and were glad that the Companies Bill has been enacted. We are currently working with the Parliamentary Select Committee on Constitutional Legal and Parliamentary Affairs in their discussions on the new Corporate Insolvency Bill which we hope will be passed this year.
The GARIA TRUST FUND
A key objective of the celebratory and awards dinner is the launch of the GARIA TRUST FUND. This foundation is designed to be the principal financing vehicle for GARIA and would be governed by an independent board of trustees with diverse backgrounds and experience in accounting, banking, law, business, investment, academia and the public sector.
GARIA has relied on subscriptions from its membership and PLATINUM Foundation Members and collaboration from well-meaning development and other organizations such as Business Sector Advocacy Challenge (BUSAC), American Chamber of Commerce (Amcham Ghana), World Bank Group, and Registrar General’s Department. Over the years, these sources of funding have not been consistent, predictable and adequate hence the need for the establishment of the GARIA Trust Fund.
The GARIA Trust Fund has applied for tax deductibility for contributions made to the Trust.
The goal of the GARIA Trust Fund is to raise GHS 5million over the 2019-2024 period to support GARIA’s Strategic Plan which includes: providing operational support for GARIA activities; equipping an educational and learning centre; capacity building for Insolvency Practitioners; conducting research into restructuring and insolvency; corporate governance and overall thought leadership for economic growth and development.