The National Information Centre has announced that phone line 311 has been designated as an additional helpline for citizens across the country to obtain and provide information on COVID-19 to guarantee their safety.
Additionally, a WhatsApp number: 0555311311 has been assigned to aid public communication with the requisite authorities and to provide reliable and quality data on events, contacts tracing and all other emergencies.
Mr Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, the Minister of Information, announced this, in Accra, at a media briefing to update citizens on emerging issues on the national responses to the COVID-19 pandemic.
He said the helpline, which would complement the existing 112, would be used the public to seek for all forms of information on COVID-19 and to access real time clarification on the imposition of all the current restrictions due to the pandemic.
It would also be used by healthcare workers and all other persons to seek assistance for, give directions or provide information for the acquisition of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for the safety frontline health workers.
The Information Minister said the public could also use the new helpline to draw the attention of the authorities to any irregularities or lack of cooperation on the current restrictions on human movements, especially in the hotspot areas.
He, however, warned prank callers to desist from their schemes, as their activities were unpatriotic and retarded efforts to reach out to serious persons with help.
Mr Oppong Nkrumah said various numbers of these of prank callers had been intercepted and offenders would be appropriately dealt with at the right time.
The COVID-19 pandemic, he emphasised, was a serious global health threat, and must be taken seriously by every individual. "The virus is no respecter of persons".
Ghana has since Thursday, March 12, confirmed a total of 195 cases; after testing 4,650 presumptive cases. Five of the patients, who had underlying chronic conditions, have passed on. However, there are three full recoveries, while 49 have been discharged to continue their care at home.
The rest are responding well to treatment, the Health Minister has said.
Under an Executive Instrument Order by the President, effective 0100 hours on Monday, March 30, persons in 40 localities in the Greater and Greater Kumasi Metropolitan areas and contiguous districts are under a two-week restriction of movement measure to limit the spread of COVID-19.
There are, however, exemptions to cater for access to food and water, medicine, healthcare and other essential services.
The tracing of people who have been exposed to the disease for testing is also being intensified during the period.
Globally, according to the Johns Hopkins University Coronavirus Center, there are more than 877, 400 confirmed cases and, with more than 43,500 deaths. The recovery cases are more than 185,100.